Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pasta with Tomato & Greek Yogurt Sauce

I LOVE rotini noodles :)
So we haven't been to the grocery store in a while...and we decided to put it off another day.  We've been eating a lot of pasta lately, since were both training for long distance runs.  Shane decided to cook up a simple pasta dinner, but just as the water started boiling, we realized we didn't have any sauce! So, I quickly began thinking of what we could use (I love this game!).  I've never been a fan of alfredo sauce, but I have always wanted to try to make some sort of creamy pasta sauce using greek yogurt.  So I rounded up some ingredients and here's what I came up with -- let me know what you think! :)



The first few ingredients I grabbed!
Ingredients:
1 box of pasta (I prefer rotini)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
1 clove of garlic - pressed or chopped
1 cup fresh baby spinach - chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp of thyme
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp of rosemary
2 tsp of lemon juice
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese



Adding in the spinach & garlic
Summer Squash - yum!
Directions:

Cook the pasta according to the box instructions.  Meanwhile, start chopping the zucchini and squash into thin slices and then in half.  Add the two to a heated skillet with olive oil.  Cook on medium for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add chopped spinach, garlic and herbs to the skillet and cover with a lid to allow the spinach to wilt.  Keep covered for about 3 minutes (opening occasionally to stir).  Remove the lid and lower the temperature to low.  Add the diced tomatoes, keeping the juice.  Add a dash of salt and pepper (or more if you like!).  Stir until mixture is heated through.

Meanwhile, drain the pasta and return to the pot or a large bowl.  Add lemon juice and greek yogurt to the pasta.  Then stir in the tomato mixture and mix until well blended.  Serve into a bowl and top with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
Adding in the tomatoes and heating the mixture

pasta with tomato and greek yogurt sauce
Combined with greek yogurt - has a bit of a creamy consistency


ENJOY!!

2 comments:

  1. Angie!! I just made this tonight for dinner and it's amaaaaazin'! I didn't have lemon juice and so I'm sure it could use a lil extra flavor but I'll save that for next time because I WILL be making this again to get me all fueled up for runs! :) As a part of operation: use-up-all-my vegetables-before-they-rot-in-front-of-my-eyes, I threw in corn that I shaved off the cob, red peppers, fresh basil, and fresh tomatoes... NOM!NOM! Keep sharing this awesome recipes and neat ideas!!! :) :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear! I'm sure the basil and added veggies made it even better! Yum! :) Thanks for always sending along your kind words!!

      Delete