Friday, August 10, 2012

Root Roast

Our friends Abby & Randy introduced this meal to us a couple of years ago and now we make all the time!  So easy and delicious!  It's great as a side or the main dish.  You can use a variety of roots - my favorites being: beets, turnips, sweet potato, potato, carrots and onion!  When I made this a few days ago, I was limited on ingredients... but they were all straight from our garden :)

vegetable root roast
Root Roast Deliciousness :)
A quick rewind back to February... when we decided to try to grow onion from seed this season!  It was maybe a little ambitious since we'd never grown anything besides tomatoes and cilantro, but it was such a fun adventure.  Shane built a wooden structure for us to hang a grow light (aka a fluorescent shop light) where we could start our onions.  This was our first little onion seedling to sprout!  I was like a little kid on Christmas the day it popped up out of the soil!  It's so neat to look back and see where our little onions started and how well they turned out :)


Onion seedling popping up!

Harvesting roots!
 
Onion




Here's me harvesting our beets, onions and potatoes last week!  It was another exciting visit to the garden expecting weedfilled disaster and instead finding edible produce (along with lots of weeds).  I was drooling thinking about the root roast I could make with these ingredients... and finally a few nights ago I did - so I thought I'd share....

Ingredients:

Any roots you want! For a 9x13 inch baking pan, here's a guesstimate of quantity:

5 beets
4 potatos
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic (minced)

(if you have it, I highly recommend sweet potatoes, carrots & turnips as well!)

Olive Oil
Rosemary
Thyme

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375.  Chop all of the roots into approximately 1 inch pieces.  Combine all roots in a sprayed 9x13 inch baking pan.  Add minced garlic, rosemary and thyme.  Drizzle olive oil over the mixture and then toss with your hands to mix in the spices and coat with oil. Bake for about 20 minutes, then remove from oven to mix so roots don't stick to the bottom of the pan.  Return to the oven and bake for another 20-30 minutes until roots are easy to poke with a fork (I've noticed soft beets are a good indicator).  Let cool and enjoy!


Beets!

Chop about an inch square


Our potatos
Adding garlic... you can never have too much, right?!


I love rosemary :)


Before baking...

After!

Happy Roasting :)


No comments:

Post a Comment