Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Yard Sale Treasure

We went yard sale hopping several months ago - one of my favorite things to do - and found the most beautiful old trunk!  I've always wanted a big wooden trunk to put at the end of our bed for extra blankets and things, and this one looked perfect for the job!  Of course it was a a little beaten up and smelled horribly like moth balls - ew!  The man selling it told me his great grandparents had their luggage in this trunk when they traveled overseas on their journey to America --- cool!
After a few months of letting it sit (empty because of the moth ball smell), I finally got around to fixing it up recently!

I sanded it down....

And then put on a fresh new coat of stain.

 With Juno's help of course :)


Then, I spent a few days getting rid of the smell.  From airing it out in the sun, to letting a bowl of vinegar and baking soda sit inside for a day, to finally putting in a few fabric softeners.  But... I think it's gone! Yay for fun projects :)

1 comment:

  1. Your Aunt in Texas checking in to say I love your trunk! What a find! And such a cute helper! Black and white dogs are my fav. So glad you have this blog so I know what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete