Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Returning to Katahdin...


My first time on Katahdin!

Shane & I after our 2,178.3 mile journey!
 I have a horrible memory.  But one thing I'll never forget is the day I first hiked up Mount Katahdin in Maine.  In 2009 I was fortunate enough to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail with my wonderful husband (fiance at the time).  You can read more about our hike on our Trail Journals site.  Katahdin was the final climb along a 2,178.3 mile journey from Georgia to Maine.  I remember the strange emotions I was feeling with every step I took.  I remember being so excited to complete this journey I'd been dreaming about for years and at the same time being so sad for it to come to an end.  We hiked up with a group of people we'd been traveling with since North Carolina.  We laughed and shared inside jokes.  We talked about what we wanted to eat when we got down.  And we cried a little (at least I did!) when we got our first glimpse of the famous Katahdin sign.  You can see it in the distance for over a mile on a clear day.  From that point on, you're no longer climbing over rocks using rebar holds or surrounded by forest.  You're well above tree line and can't be slowed down by the gradual elevation gain.  When I finally got the sign I hugged it and had a photo shoot with every angle of the sign and the various people up there.  And then I sat up there.... for nearly 3 hours just basking in the sun and never wanting to come down.  That's the strange thing - you always hear about Katahdin being the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, but you never really hear about the 5 miles after that. The long, slow down hill giving you time to soak in what just happened.  Allowing you to recall highlights from the past 5 and half months.  Think about how excited you are to call home and tell them you did it! To share with friends and family endless pictures and stories and thank them for supporting you along the way.

My second time with this sign :)
I often relive September 2, 2009 in my head, but last week I got to relive it in my trail runners :) After an amazing week long work conference in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, I had the opportunity to return to Katahdin with 5 amazing people.  We camped at Katahdin Stream Campground the evening before summiting, and got to stare up at the mountain dreaming of what tomorrow would bring.  We headed out early and were lucky enough to have a warm, clear day to spend on one of the best hikes I've ever been on.  We started out laughing and chatting, but quickly the rolling first mile turned into a 2 mile rock staircase.  I took about an hour to hike on my own, which was so nice.  It was a great time for reflecting and remember the individual hand holds and challenging scrambles where 3 years ago Shane had definitely given me a boost to get up!  Once above treeline I sat and took a break, but couldn't sit long because I was soooo anxious to get to the summit.  And, by the time I arrived to the plateau and last mile, I was booking it!  It was such a great feeling to be on top of that beautiful mountain again!  We spent some time up there talking to other hikers, eating lunch and deciding which trail to take down.  In 2009, Shane had gone down the Knife Edge trail, which is a narrow trail with steep drop offs on either side.  I had taken one look at it and decided to head down the Saddle Trail.  But I always somewhat regretted not doing the Knife Edge.  So this time I was determined! All five of us decided to do it (although I'm not sure they all are happy with that decision! :) ).  It was AWESOME!  And actually not quite as scary as I expected.  I know my mom would be so disappointed in me for even considering it, but there was only one section that truly had me questioning my decision to take this path.  But after some help from another hiker, I made it down the scary scramble and to the end of the Knife Edge!  The rest of the Trail down is just that... DOWN.  Not too steep, but 4 long miles of down hill.
Knife Edge - if you look really close you can see Julie!



I have a horrible memory, but I'll never forget the first TWO times I climbed Mount Katahdin... and hopefully the next 10 times :)


Happy Trails!



No comments:

Post a Comment